Art in the 21st Century Series
Art21 | Season 9 Selections
February 7 – March 6, 2020
Gallery on Five, level 5
Award-winning PBS series featuring short documentaries about contemporary artists worldwide. All Art21 seasons are available free online at www.art21.org
“Season 9 of Art in the Twenty-First Century charts art-making in three urban centers across three continents: Berlin, Johannesburg, and the San Francisco Bay Area. From the post-Cold War cultural and economic rebirth in Berlin, to the dramatic fall of apartheid in South Africa and the technological boom in the Bay Area, the twelve artists and one non-profit art center highlighted in this season respond to the forces that have shaped the places where they live and work, while pursuing their personal visions for a better future.
The artists in this season examine the complicated histories of colonization, war and migration, offer new perspectives on our interactions with technology and the environment, critique our conceptions of gender, sexuality, and race, and ultimately inspire us to see our world in new ways.”
- Artist featured: Olafur Eliasson in “Berlin”. 13:28 mins.
- Artist featured: David Goldblatt in “Johannesburg”. 14:04 mins. https://art21.org/watch/art-in-the-twenty-first-century/s9/david-goldblatt-in-johannesburg-segment/
- Artist featured: Susan Philipsz in “Berlin”. 12:23 mins.
- Artist featured: Robin Rhode in “Johannesburg”. 14:32 mins.
- Artist featured: Stephanie Syjuco in “San Francisco Bay Area”. 14:48 mins.